Nurture yourself with hearty bowl food. This tasty beef meatballs recipe was created by Noha Seregeldin and is the perfect comfort food for trying times.
Meatballs immersed in a fragrant broth scented with lemongrass & ginger, along with a tangle of soba noodles & crisp snow peas.
Beef and Soba Noodle Soup
A comforting dish featuring tender beef, savoury broth, and hearty soba noodles, creating a satisfying, flavourful meal.
Prep Time: 20 mins | Cook Time: 20 mins | Total Time: 40 mins
- 1 Litre water
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 litre beef stock
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 500 g lean beef mince
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled
- ¾ cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 270 g soba noodles
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger, sliced
- 1 stalk lemongrass, bruised with the back of a knife
- 200 g sugar snap peas or snow peas, trimmed & halved
- 4 spring onions, white parts roughly chopped, green parts sliced and set aside
- lemon wedges, to serve
- toasted sesame seeds, to serve
- In a medium saucepan combine the stock, water, sugar, lemongrass & sliced ginger. Place on medium heat and simmer.
- Meanwhile combine the white parts of the spring onions, remaining ginger, and garlic in a food processor. Pulse till finely chopped. Add breadcrumbs, fish sauce and beef. Pulse until the mixture comes together (don’t over mix!).
- Form heaped-tablespoons of the mixture into meatballs by firmly rolling them between your palms. This mixture is very easy to roll and should yield about 20 or so meatballs.
- Add oil into a large pot over high heat, add meatballs and leave to brown on one side for 3 minutes. Carefully flip meatballs over and brown for another 2-3 minutes.
- Add simmering stock to the pot with the meatballs through a sieve (to catch the ginger and lemongrass, which you can discard). Turn the heat down and let the meatballs simmer gently for 5 minutes.
- Add the soba noodles and cook for 3 minutes. Add sugar snap/snow peas, cook for another minute.
- Serve soup with a generous squeeze of lemon juice and some sesame seeds sprinkled on top.